Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Deja Vu


Last night, it was back to the emergency room with Ila.
Since Saturday, she has had horrible diarrhea, we can't keep a diaper on her cause not only has her butt bled but we go through about 50 a day since as soon as we put it on she goes again. Finally, yesterday, I took her to the doctor since it was lasting so long. She wasn't dehydrated and the doctor just said to call if she was. She actually seemed a lot better, she wasn't going nearly as much and I thought we were almost through this. Then in the afternoon, she kept making sounds like she was gonna throw up, little gagging sounds. I couldn't tell if she had learned something new or if she really was going to. She is just so sweet and so strong, when she isn't feeling well, she doesn't complain, so I couldn't tell. And now I feel so bad cause I was kinda jostling around playing with her and she was giving me this look, like, "I hate this... I'm gonna puke." She must have been so nauseous. She finally threw up more than I have ever seen in my life. It just kept coming. She was so worn out afterward we wrapped her up in a blanket and she went right to sleep. A few minutes later she woke up dry heaving till she was purple and eventually some bile came out. I immediately called the doctor and since Ila wouldn't let us put a bottle in her mouth to drink, we were instructed to get her to Pediatric ER.
She continued to choke on bile a couple more times while trying to throw up. The nurse came in and tried to give her medicine for the nauseau, but she couldn't keep it down and they decided she needed an IV to get it in her and some fluids. By the end of the night, she had experienced 3 attempts at getting a catheter in, her blood getting drawn, an IV, a nasal swab, and the very worst: being held down. She is so strong, and such a good baby, and that is what upset her the most. Each procedure took forever to get her calmed down again because she was so angry and hungry since she wasn't allowed to eat. She was just so worn out, she would just sit there and wimper in our arms after. The doctor gave us the option of admitting her or going home, and we decided to go home.
I'm so thankful to my parents for meeting us at the hospital cause they really helped to liven things up for me and get my mind off it. I'm so grateful for the priesthood and Trent and my dad being able to give Ila a blessing. When we were in the hospital for jaundice, the doctor was "very surprised" by how quickly her jaundice levels dropped after being under the bili lights for just 24 hours. And again last night, the doctor was very surprised by the fact that Ila ate as much as she did as soon as she was allowed to have a bottle. I know that in both of these circumstances, Ila has stayed so strong and recovered so quickly because of the blessings she has received from Trent. I can't imagine how much more scared I would be, or what would happen if she wasn't able to receive them.
Today, we are still waiting for her to recover, but she hasn't thrown up. The doctor has prescribed Benadryl for her nausea and that has helped, but maybe cause she has slept so much today! I hate the way she acts on it, she's not herself.
We still don't know what it is, all the tests have come back negative for whatever they were testing for. We hope that whatever this bacteria or virus is that she has caught will be gone by this weekend, please pray for her. Being a parent is the best thing in the world, especially being one to such a great baby, but it's also so hard!
In the meantime, I am keeping the christmas music going cause nothing lifts your spirits like this time of year! Trent and I are so grateful for our blessings, it's funny how in times of trial you think of all the these you do have and how blessed you are. It sure makes the trials easier.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you guys had to go through that!! How scary! Isn't it the worst not knowing what is wrong with your baby and feeling so helpless? We are all praying for her and you guys. Let us know if there is anything else we can do. We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! What a scary situation! I hope Ila recovers quickly so you guys can enjoy the holidays healthily. :D PS I'll be doing more posting in the near future. Just gotta get past all those dang finals! YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  3. here's to a speedy recovery of little ila! she's such a doll!...i love your pictures cherie, you have a great eye.

    ReplyDelete